Mending Our Clothing

 I grew up with parents who were kids throughout the second-world war.  There are many things I learned from them in my upbringing that are so useful now.  One of these is mending our clothing rather than buying new.

I have a small pile of clothes that need attention I add to, and every few weeks I sit down with my sewing kit and button box to make repairs.

Today I have granddaughter's black leggings that need stitching.  There are two small holes in one leg that will just get bigger if they are not sewn up.  I used a sewing needle and strong black sewing thread and turned these inside out.  I oversewed across the hole as neatly as I could.  Once turned the right way out it is very hard to see the mending unless you are looking for it!

I had a dog/fluffy cushion to mend before dog number 2 arrives.  I used the same sewing needle, but changed the thread to a very hard-wearing beige colour.  Now I sewed very small stitches, then went back the same way with larger stitches.  if it splits again I will sew it up again.


The third item I needed to mend was my 'curry' top.  I always have a 'curry' top.  This is a top with a tiny pattern that is perfect to wear with messy food things - especially when eating curry!  My curry top needed a new button adding, which took me about five minutes.  I have a button tin that I add buttons to when I take items to pieces to reuse. It's a really pretty tin that lives on our mantlepiece, so has two uses.


Now I have nothing in my mending pile until life moves on and items need fixing.


Do you mend clothing?


FMxx

Comments

  1. I mend as much as I can. I have several t-shirts just like your granddaughter's leggings. With little holes in them that I have managed to cover. I have also found many thrifted pieces with small hole or seam splits, and missing buttons. Mending keeps my clothing bill down.

    I also mending my tote bags with a sail cloth needle. Some have cost more then $30 and just need to be kept up.

    My question is which do you (everyone) like better hand mending or machine mending and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always mending things. I think I must have been a ladies maid in a previous existence! I mend things by hand as I like the precision and enjoy taking my time to make a repair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts