Free Furniture

 Free is my favourite price.

A few months ago we got a new dining room table and chairs - for free.

The wood they are made from is oak. The condition was not amazing.

There was quite a bit of felt-tip pen on the legs and back of the chairs, and the legs of the table; but Man Wonderful said we could restore them.

I spent quite a bit of time scrubbing the wood clean with a metal scrubber and washing-up liquid.

This made a huge difference.

My lovely brother saw what we had done, and suggested a couple of things to do.  He loaned us some Methylated Spirit to wipe over the wooden surfaces, and some Beeswax polish to apply after.

The effect is superb.

(Thanks to my lovely brother these have cost us nothing.)


I love to have a clean, tidy home and spending nothing is my favourite way of managing.

What do you use for cleaning?

FMxx

Comments

  1. Your dining set sounds lovely. That's the sort of project that is really rewarding. For dealing with general yuckiness I am a big fan of micro-fibre cloths and I use them with a home-made cleaning spray made with vinegar, washing-up liquid and lots of water. For dusting, I usually use dusting brushes made with lots of long silky threads (I don't know what their proper name is), but if things get a little TOO dusty I use a wet micro-fibre cloth. For polishing furniture I prefer a beeswax spray to anything with silicone in it. I guess the weirdest thing I use to clean with is wood-ash. Faced with a cruddy glass oven door one day I had a eureka moment. I use ash from our log burner to clean the log burner door and wondered if it would work on burnt on grease. The simple answer is yes. It works like a dream, both on the glass and the enamel inside the oven. The only thing to be very careful about is that it is the soft white ash with no gritty bits in it, so that nothing gets scratched. It sounds disgusting, but it doesn't fill the house with horrible oven-cleaner fumes and is totally free too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts