Put a smile on their faces?

I've just had a search back through recent posts, as I'm not sure if I've written about this before; I can't find it mentioned, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself anyway.

Yesterday I popped into the local big supermarket (Mr T's) and at the entrance were two young ladies under a gazebo, with a couple of large trollies, handing out leaflets promoting the local Foodbank.
They were asking for particular food items for food parcels.

I'm sure you know how the Foodbanks work: folk have to be referred by the local social support department with a voucher for three days emergency food supplies.  They could be waiting for benefits to be processed, or even arrived at the benefits system in dire straits, having been trying to manage for  some time.

There are a lot of families who are dreading the six week summer holiday because during term time their kiddies get a 'free' school meal a day, but in the school holidays there is no extra money to feed them. 

And this is where the Trussell Trust steps in.
Time after time after time.

Just for a heartbreaking second picture yourself needing that support.
Even worse, to feed a child.


At the bottom is what they're asking for right now: if you can donate anything then please do.

But.

(Because you know with me there's a but coming, don't you?)

Yesterday at our local Mr T's I didn't buy any of the items on this list.

No.  Instead I bought Sanitary Pads and Tampons: the things that are incredibly essential, have to be bought regularly, and if I had no money to feed myself or a child and had to go without these items, it would be truly, truly miserable.    

So if you can; add a couple of bags or boxes of STs to your Foodbank donation.


Comments

  1. It's not something one would think about, is it, but fertility doesn't disappear when you hit bad times.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will remember that the next time I am off to the supermarket to remember to get extra to donate. Thank you for the reminder. Although also could be thought of as expensive, I have added those ready cooked rice bags and pasta. I over heard one lady waiting with the trolleys for the van to pick it up, saying one girl was crying with relief, that she had been given food bank tokens. But when they tried to give her the box she had to give most of it back as she only had a microwave and couldnt afford the electric or to buy a cooker. I could have cried for her.

    thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh p.s, it might be me but I was looking for a follow button? am I missing it? thanks Sol

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too have heared about people returning food because they had no way to cook it...very sad such a worthwhile thing to do also nice to donate some treats like easter eggs and advent calendars

    tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also my husband who volunteers and helped set up our local food bank said things like nappies are also always in dire need. Food banks are amazing wonderful people and I wonder what our country would now be like without them -it is a tragic truth that they are so needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over here, foodbanks are always looking for baby supplies (bottles, nipples, diapers, wipes, cream, jarred baby food, and formula powder)

    Soap, shampoo, body wash. Dish washing soap, any home supplies really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for the reminder about foodbanks and the need to give more than what's on the list. So sad that there is such a need for foodbanks in this day & age, the situation doesn't look set to improve, does it?
    On a happier note I'm so glad I've found you again, and have read back to catch up. Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea on the donation front - I usually throw a few boxes of tampons in with the Christmas Shelter's toiletries. Another thing I buy regularly to throw in with the foodbank donations is cream crackers - they can be eaten in so many ways - and can make a good addition to a breakfast, lunch or dinner, for a family that don't have fresh bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Food banks are a sad necessity. I always try and throw things in like biscuits - a little treat can help with bad times. At Christmas I bought 10 x £1 tubes of Codbury choc treats for children. It's not all beans and lentils! :)

    I volunteer for a small local charity for families in crisis and always describe us a similar set up to a food bank (ie: a crisis referral from 'professionals') - our original purpose was to provide toiletry packs for mum and newborn for women going into hospital without supplies (nappies, wipes, shampoo, shower gel, maternity towels, breast pads etc) but now we have expanded and deal with referrals from pregnancy and children from newborn - age 11ish. We can provide clothes (so many referrals stress the need for warm clothes and bedding n the colder months), nappies, bedding, cots, potties, safety equipment, weaning stuff - we rely so much on donations from lovely people out there :) Not only do we deal with benefit gap referrals, but also teenage pregnancies (not all have supportive families or families in a position to be able to help), domestic abuse, women released from a custodial sentence, asylum seekers and even a referral from the fire service when a young family had no insurance (when money's tight food comes before insurance premiums)

    Love your blog - always have. Am so glad to have found you back - and so lovely to hear the news about GD's expanding family and wedding x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts