Hasty Pudding

One of the recipes of my childhood, I always thought this was something fabricated by my mother at the end of a sparse month of little money.  
It's only recently that I learned it was a real thing, and actually featured in the song Yankee Doodle Dandy!

As a child, we would have this served as a lunch dish on a school day; coloured red, green or blue with food colouring or flavoured with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.

To make Hasty Pudding, you will need:

25g marg or butter
25g flour
Milk
Sugar
Cinnamon to flavour 

Melt the fat in a heavy based pan.
Remove it from the heat and mix in the flour to make a roux.
Add a little milk and mix until a smooth paste.
Pop back on the heat and add more milk, starting, until you have a simmering, thick soup.
Add sugar to taste, and a little cinnamon.
Eat while warm.


Comments

  1. hi i have read the name hasty pudding in little house on the praire; house in the big woods they all have it for lunch on the day of the maple syrup dance...said syrup is poured over the top but no details of the ingredients or what it was were given...thankyou for filling in that gap as i did wonder
    tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's almost an eggless custard Style dish x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I may be able to attempt such a dish m'dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not something I've ever heard of.....I'm sure we never had that as children. However, we did have a lot of rice pudding and bread & butter pudding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts