Sprouting Seeds!

 



I bought some seeds on March 1st, using a voucher my sister bought me as a birthday gift.

I planted them the same day and kept the pots indoors.

And this morning, here we have:
. Sweetcorn
. French beans
. Tomatoes

I had some sweetcorn seeds left from last year to plant. I haven't yet planted my spring onion or chamomile seeds, as its too early in the year.

I've also planted some chilli seeds, but no sign of them yet.


As a kid I learned how to grow veg from my dad.  He had a greenhouse thst was heated with a paraffin stove, and grew loads of veg in raised beds - as well as a huge rhubarb patch! (Do people still have paraffin stoves? Is paraffin a thing in 2023?)

A few years ago, when we lived in our big house (and we were both working full-time), I had a beautiful lean-to greenhouse that Man Wonderful had attached to the side of the house. 
I grew salad greens and tomatoes, in the ground I grew potatoes, parsnips and herbs.

It makes me really happy growing veg, and although I have other plants, the only one I've  grown from seed is lavender.

Do you grow veg?

FMxx









Comments

  1. My Dad had two allotments, and was a superb veg grower!
    Yes, you can still get paraffin, B&Q usually have it in stock.
    When we were in our old house, we had an enormous greenhouse, 18' x 12', and a huge garden to go with it. My husband got the greenhouse from a colleague who moved home, had no interest in gardening, and wanted to build a 'party shed' where the greenhouse sat. We spent a weekend dismantling and transporting it to our garden, and then three weekends building the biggest jigsaw on earth! Fortunately, we'd been very careful about labelling every piece of the structure, and taken lots of photos! The colleague didn't want anything for the greenhouse, but we bought him a 48 bottle case of his favourite Ale to say thanks, and get his party lifestyle off to a decent start! We definitely got a bargain!
    We used to grow lots of fruit and veg, potatoes, earlies and lates, sweetcorn, leeks, onions, caulis, turnips, peas, runner beans, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, spring onions, blueberries, strawbs, raspberries, red/white/blackcurrants, loganberries, herbs, and the greenhouse was full every summer with toms, cucumbers, salad greens, and even a grapevine!
    Since we downsized to our little bungalow, although we have a 95ft long front garden, the back is only 40' x 30', so we no longer have room for all that produce growing, or the greenhouse!
    I still grow spuds in bags and plastic bins, and grow raspberries, blackberries, loganberries, and currants behind the garage. The blueberries are in large pots on a patio, along with strawbs in a tower and hanging baskets. The furthest corner of the back garden is a mass of wild garlic every spring and there's a raised herb planter in the drive, not far from the kitchen door!
    At times I miss the old garden and the things I could grow there, but as my back gets progressively worse, I know I couldn't have kept that level of gardening up for much longer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts