Really Cheap Recipes - Dessert

 One thing I've missed while money has been very tight is baking. 

I love to bake all things from bread to cake to puddings.

But we haven't been having bread this last month as I had run out of yeast (and I am only buying what we need - and we can manage fine without any extra bread).

As for cake and puddings, I am baking once a week when the oven is on to cook the weekly roast.  I roast for the family of 6, for us for two days, and I bake a yummy dessert.

This is my version of a really cheap dessert recipe:


Baked Treacle Sponge

2 slices of bread

Zest of 1 lemon or orange

2 tbsp lemon or orange juice

250g golden syrup

200g cooking fat - I use margarine, you can also use butter 

200g granulated sugar

200g self raising flour

5 tbsp milk

3 eggs


My oven is on at 180 to roast our meal.

I prepare this dessert before it needs to go in the oven - it is SO easy.

1. Grate the bread in to breadcrumbs; mix this with the syrup, zest and juice. Pour this into the bottom of your baking dish.  I use a stoneware mixing bowl to cook this in.

2. Mix the sugar into the margarine/butter, add the beaten eggs, the flour and the milk and beat until smooth.

3. Pour this cake mixture over the syrup mix and smooth the top.

4. Once you take out the roast meal, put this dessert into the oven and cook for approx. 40 minutes, until a knife comes out clean from the cake part.

5.  Serve hot with custard or cream.


Let me know if you try this recipe - what do you think?


FMxx

Comments

Popular Posts