Spending My Voucher!

In December my sister gave me a voucher card for our local garden centre.  It was worth £20.
I do love our wee garden - I've always been a fan of growing veg.  In our big house I had a greenhouse that was fastened to the outside wall an had it's own outdoor tap.  Ohhh the hours I spent in there!  I even had a resident toad in my greenhouse.
Anyway.
After a few weeks of talking about what I want to grow this year, yesterday we went to the garden centre.
It would have been incredibly tempting to spend lots of money there, as the plants and products were just lovely.
But.
We had decided to spend up to the limit of our voucher and no more.
Man Wonderful wanted to look for a ground-covering plant that would grow in partial shade, for the back of our garden - where we have a large bamboo and a large camellia bush.  
I wanted to look at seeds and compare prices.

MW did not find a plant that he wanted to buy, but spoke to one of the outdoor gardeners there and came home with some good ideas.

I chose four packets of seeds:
. tomatoes
chamomile
. spring onions
. french beans

I already have potting compost left over from last year, and plenty of small pots to use once the seeds have sprouted and grown a little.

There were just over 50 tomato seeds, and I planted them today in a tray with a plastic lid to help keep their temperature level.  This tray will 'live' indoors with us for a few weeks.

The spring onions and chamomile will grow together in a large trunk just outside our back door.  
The french beans will be planted at the end of the month - again, to live indoors with us for a level temperature.  I haven't opened the packet or counted them yet.

Any plants that I grow from seed and won't use are usually given away.  I am very tempted to try and grow them all this year.. we will see.

Last year I had grown 30 small tomato plants when we got Covid.  In the week that we were really ill I forgot abut them and they weren't watered so most died.  I salvaged three plants and these were really productive.  We had lots of ripe tomatoes and in October I made green tomato chutney with the leftovers.

I spent just over £11 on my seeds, leaving me almost £9 on my voucher card.

Do you grow fruit or veg?  What could you recommend?

FMxx


Comments

  1. If you like them and have the space, runner beans are very giving for quite a while and so, so much nicer that they stringy ones you get in the shops.
    Strung and sliced, they freeze really well for winter months too. I don't blanche them but you could.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts