Saving more money on meals

 As regular readers know, we live - and have done for many years - well below the national average spending amount. One of the ways we do this is by not using food as a reward or a treat.

What?? I hear you cry!!

Yes.

It is one of the easiest way to cut your costs.

I plan our meals for the month (with flexibility; we are not robots! MW might not fancy something one day and we swap meals around) and shop once a month. 

But we don't do the...'Oh let's treat ourselves and get a takeaway'...

Also, by shopping once a month, and using both click and collect and delivery methods, it cuts out the .. 'ooh doughnuts, let's get those as a reward/treat'...

We like - and have done for years - really simple pleasures as treats: charity shop mooching for books, a live rugby match (we take our flasks and homemade snacks), swimming, walking the dog.

We know that a takeaway coffee can be £3.50, but for £3.50 we can:

. Get a few second hand books.

. Pay to park the car somewhere we'd like to walk.

. Buy a pot of coffee on special offer that can make 30 plus hot drinks.

. Go swimming for the week.


Do you buy treat foods, like a takeaway?FM xx

Comments

  1. I don't buy take-aways. I don't do cups of coffee in cafes very often either (as in I can count the number of times per year on one hand and still have spare fingers!), but my husband will sometimes buy ready-made Chinese or Thai meal boxes from the supermarket as a special treat. We have also been known to buy the odd bottle of wine, but only if it is on special offer. When we have these things they are a real treat though, not a 'because I'm worth it' routine splurge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consider it a treat like today - I do order the HG some sweets as his vice ( BUT only the cheap on ffer ones ) so because he had them, I got some tenderstem broccoli as well as the normal ome hahah but I think given the price I will blanche it and freeze it and enjoy it one stem at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts