Epilepsy.

 OK.

So yesterday I posted that I'd had a seizure while swimming.  

I've had epilepsy for about eight years now, following a head injury.

It is life changing, yes, but not life limiting.

I had to retire from my career. But we just live differently, that's all.

Epilepsy is caused by a surge in the electrical activity in the brain. The brain reacts by having a temporary time out - it's very similar to a computer restarting.

There are different types of seizure - or fit - I have absence seizures, like today's one, and full tonic-clonic seizures where the body jerks around and I am out cold.

Some people know when a seizure is going to happen, I don't.

Because of my condition,Man Wonderful acts as my carer. He doesn't get any payment for this, apart from me!

If you have any questions about this, please do ask and I will do my best to answer you.


FMxx


Comments

  1. Hello, I have a 39 year old son with drug resistant epilepsy, he has had it for 10 years. I am glad that you are able to do things and that you have a wonderful man to help you, epilepsy is such a horrible thing. My son wears an epicare bracelet that enables him to live independently most of the time in assisted living ,the alarm bracelet is an amazing thing and alerts us when he has a tonic clonic seizure. He had brain surgery 2 years ago but it didn't stop the seizures and is now fitted with a vagus nerve stimulator, he has had some awful injuries because of the seizures, mostly to his head. At the moment they are trying a new medication to support his epilim but he is suffering from awful side effects so that one has to go and yet another one to try. He doesn't know when a seizure is coming but if we are with him we can sometimes tell but sometimes it's just in an instant. I hope you continue to live life to the fullest and wish you all the best, regards, Chrissie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts