Christmas Cake

 When Man Wonderful and I moved in together it was the summer time. All was great.

When the Autumn began it was time for me to make the Christmas cake, so I bought the basic things I needed and made two cakes. These went in the oven, and were then cooling on a rack while we were watching TV in the evening. 
Man Wonderful popped into the kitchen to get us a drink each and came back into the lounge with his mouth chewing.
I asked him what was he eating?
He said he was trying my Christmas cake - and it was gorgeous!
I thought he was trying a piece from the edge and thought nothing more of it, but when I went to the kitchen about an hour later I found that the cake had a large triangular slice cut out of it....I asked Man Wonderful what on earth was happening, and he said my cake was gorgeous, and could I make more?!

His first wife was a superb cake maker, but he was never allowed more than one tiny piece, so being able now to eat and enjoy a large piece of cake was just perfect.

So, every year since, I make several Christmas cakes and they get eaten and enjoyed.

My cake isn't expensive to make, and it is really easy.

Here is the list of ingredients: 

Tracey's Christmas Cake

1150g dried fruit - I tend to use a mixture of raisins, sultanas and currants
200g glace cherries, cut in half
250ml rum or brandy

Pop the fruits in a large baking bowl, add the booze and cover with clingfilm for a couple of days, shaking to mix from time to time.

When you are ready to bake, mix together:

680g plain flour (I use gluten free for MW)
80g ground almonds
350g marg or butter (I use dairy free)
4 beaten eggs
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spices
a pinch of salt

add:

250g dark brown sugar (I tend to use muscovado)
100g light brown sugar

mix well then add:

zest of an orange
zest of a lemon
120g chopped almonds 

Now mix together with your soaked fruit.

Line a deep baking tin with paper, and grease the paper.
Heat the oven to 160c, spoon the cake mix into the tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Test the cake by putting in a skewer or a knife and if it comes out clean the the cake is cooked.
Otherwise try again in half and hour..and possibly another half an hour.

Cook on  a cooling rack.

Don't tell hubby there is cake to try!!

When it's cold, wrap in greaseproof paper and store for Christmas.

Enjoy!

Take care,

Tracey xx

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious. We love Christmas cake but not the marzipan and icing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colette in New Brunswick5 November 2020 at 16:36

    Hello Tracey! That cake sounds delicious, but... what kind of tin? Loaf tin, round tin? How long, what diameter, how deep? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colette, apologies!! My cake tin is 10" round and 4" deep - but I sometimes split the above mix between two 9" loaf tins instead. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts