Wedding preparations

GD is getting married in less than three weeks.
It's a very exciting time for us all; her and her lovely fiancé especially.

I thought I'd share with you how we have managed to make her special day as brilliant and as financially manageable and frugal as possible.

Firstly, when she walks down the aisle, it will all have been paid for.

Although it's been a couple of years since I wrote my last blog about frugal living, we still live the same way, and the wedding didn't sway us.  The budget *we could manage was worked out and has been stuck to.  GD is as frugal as we are, as you'll read.

*(Her birth father decided he didn't wish to take part or contribute financially, which actually made it less complicated.)

GD herself scrimped and saved and bought her dress.
It's stunning.
(And I promise a picture after the event.)

I've made attendants outfits and adjusted other cheaply-bought items to fit people beautifully.

The bride and groom have made: confetti from old sheet music; table decorations from jars, sand and stones; miles of bunting; their own orders of service.

We negotiated a hefty discount from the reception venue for paying up front.
Other services' prices were negotiated face-to-face.

We've used friends, and friends-of-friends, as much as possible.
Bride and Groom have said "No" to additional things that they feel are unnecessary (additional room drapes?) and have made as many things themselves as they can (thank you gifts, for example).

Some items have been added in after careful consideration.
Like today.

Bridal make-up.



They've saved hundreds by using a friend who is a photographer- the photos are a wedding present.
But looking stunning for said photos? (Well, I think she looks beautiful every day, but for her wedding album...)
So a try-out today and Oh My Goodness....I was close to tears, folks.

Now then, my outfit I had my eye on for months.
As regular readers know I don't buy new clothes.
But this is the wedding of my only child, and I wanted to wear something, well, very smart.

So I looked around online and found The Outfit.
Then I sat and waited.
And waited.
And finally, six months after I first saw it, my outfit was reduced in a sale!

So I bought it from my PayPal pennies.

And it's gorgeous.


With just a few days left now, I'm spending my evenings finishing off a wedding quilt for the newly weds.

I'll share the making in a future post if you're interested?


 Have you had a huge event to pay for/save up for?
How did you do it so you didn't break the bank?

What would you do differently next time?




Comments

  1. 2015 must be the year for weddings as our son got married in February! Good luck with it all, it will go so quickly on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to all of you. How fantastic to be able to start married life without a wedding debt. My daughter said no to list of things and refused to be pressured into things she didn't want. She too made all her stationary, orders of service and table centre pieces. Her wedding cake was a present from a friend as were her wedding photos. I made her wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses...and had the honour of walking her down the aisle...her birth father wasn't involved either. It was a lovely day with many happy memories. Weddings don't have to cost the earth and can still be special for all the right reasons. Good for you and many blessings on you and your lovely family xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have all had a fantastic time with all the preparations and how proud you will all feel knowing it didn't cost an absolute fortune. Hope all goes well on the day. Are you going to walk GD down the isle?
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, Man Wonderful is walking her down the aisle. He's been her daddy since the age of five, has been the perfect dad she never had before. We are getting very excited about the whole event!

      Delete
    2. aaaawww that's nice. You're all going to have such a wonderful day.
      Carolx

      Delete
  4. Good for you. It truly will be a day to remember for all the right reasons and a great start to married life together. I could weep when i see how much money youngsters (and their families) shell out on what is just one day in their lives, sometimes leaving them in debt for years to come. It's just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts