Scrimping even more

 If you read my last post you will know that we lost our wee lad last week. Ronnie Barker the whippet/labradoodle.

Very sad. He was ill for just week, and died aged 10 months and 6 days.


Luckily we had pet insurance.

UN-luckily his treatment was more than DOUBLE the highest amount he was insured for. 


Our insurance policy had an excess (as most do), which was an affordable amount for us.

And the policy will pay out 80% of the highest amount he was insured for. We can afford to pay the 20% of this.



SO.

As well as dealing with the tragic loss of our full-of-life, bouncy pup; we have had to face a humungous bill from the vet hospital.

Don't get me wrong:  our Ronnie was worth every penny, and the Vets (4 of them working together) did everything they could.

It's just that ..



Well.

We have an emergency fund.  Yep.

We have a very small income.  Yep.

We live well below the line.  Yep.

We have no credit cards or loans.  Yep.

We have a sudden very large bill.  Yep.


OK.


We have dug into our emergency fund BUT I won't use it all as we don't know what will happen tomorrow.  We could need to replace our washing machine, or fridge. We could need to hire a car.   

So this is what we are doing to scrimp even more:

. eBay buyers have very kindly purchased some items we just had sitting around (wool winter coat, perfume, unused Christmas gifts)

. my blog pays out a wee amount every quarter - I downloaded that - (thank you readers!)

. I downloaded the app that buys your books.  I checked every book in the house that had a barcode, parcelled it up and we have £45

. We were able to sell back to the vet hospital some items we'd bought for Ron but never opened.   (£65)

. I've started a Vinted account and made several small sales (every little helps) and have several more to photograph and list

. I've used Facebook local selling page and sold a side table and a filing cabinet we didn't need anymore.

. I have a collection that I am going to list on eBay.

. I have some large bundles of wool and fabric to sell.


Little by little we will scrimp and save even more that we usually do, and pay off this bill.  

. I'm painting birthday cards from card I already have to save buying cards for people.

. I have plenty of sock wool, so I'm knitting socks to sell.

. We said no to having lunch out with my sister - when she realised it was to do with money she has said she is paying.

. In our food cupboard we have enough to feed ourselves on for almost three months, so only need to buy fresh veg.  So we have altered our meal plans.

. Neither of us needs shoes or coats, and we can wear what we have until it falls to bits.


'Sometimes the world that we live in can be hard now and then, and it will be again.'


Life, my dear friends, as crap as it sometimes is, is still an adventure.


FMxx

Comments

  1. I understand where you are coming from. We had an unexpected Vet bill last month. $1800. Our girl is 12 and the price of an insurance policy is more than that per year. Her previous human cancelled an affordable policy before she abandoned her. We would have continued the policy if we had known.

    The biopsy was $642 but in my husband's eyes it was priceless as he now knows his shadow is cancer free and only missing one toe.

    I'm sorry for your loss, they take such a big piece of our hearts when they cross the Rainbow Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so sad for you all xx rip ronnie and you take care these furries are very precious xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for the loss of your puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible thing to happen. Poor Ronnie. I don't have any pets, but vividly remember what the awful loss of one feels like. Keeping occupied helps and it certainly sounds like you have a lot of small projects to keep you busy. Take care. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about the loss of such a young pet - its always so sad whatever the age!! On the ot

    ReplyDelete
  6. The loss of a pet is always so sad - especially when so young!
    Love your thrifty ideas. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts