Buying Vegetables

 I've mentioned before that we buy our fruit, veg and eggs from a local farm shop.

I always thought that it would be much more expensive to buy food this way, but it really isn't.

It is not exactly the cheapest,, but it certainly isn't the most expensive - and the quality  is superb!!

Every now and then, when I am in a supermarket, I take my farm shop receipt and compare prices.  I am very happy with what we are paying for the food we have delivered.

Here is what we had this week:

2kg roasting potatoes
4 Baking potatoes
2kg carrots
2 cauliflowers
1 savoy cabbage
1kg onions
2 medium swedes
2 large heads of broccoli
1 iceberg lettuce
1kg English tomatoes
2 courgettes
500g mushrooms
3 peppers
3 kiwi fruit
2 bulbs garlic
1kg Braeburn apples
1 lemon
3kg bananas

This will feed us for the week, including two big family meals I'm cooking.

The meals this week are:

Monday - Woolton pie, using up all leftovers from a family roast meal (except for the meat I cook for the daughter, as we don't eat meat).
Tuesday - today - my sister took us out for lunch as we have really had quite a horrible start to 2023...
Wednesday - stir fry with Quorn pieces
Thursday - Chilli with Quorn mince
Friday - Mushroom risotto
Saturday - All Day Breakfast (veggie version, with a jacket spud instead of toast or fried bread)
Sunday - I make a huge family-sized Roast meal with a pudding

Our main meal is at lunch time, and we have a salad or sandwiches for our small meal.  Our fruit is used as snacks, and for the grandkids popping over.
How do you shop for your fruit and veg?
Have you tried a local farm shop?

FMxx

Comments

Popular Posts