What really matters?

As I go around in my little world, living every minute of My Beautiful Life, I see so many very unhappy-looking people.
I know that everyone has their own journey, and I don't seek to judge, just to wonder.
Regular readers will know that Man Wonderful and I were both working full-time as teachers before retirement (him) and disability (me) ended our careers.
Over the 20+ years we have been together, external influences on our lives have ebbed and flowed like a meandering river. 
Employment, finances, stress, illness: all these have a huge effect on how each day feels.
But the point is, when we were unhappy with something, we changed it or changed our path, accepted it and moved on.
When employment for Man Wonderful could have begun to cause stress, we changed our lifestyle so that he could retire early (and live longer).
When I became suddenly and unexpectedly disabled and was unable to bring in a substantial wage every month, we changed our lifestyle again so that we lived differently.
We are not unhappy that we no longer bring in 100k+ a year.
If I'm honest, we are loving the journey because we truly believe there is one, wild, life to live; this really isn't a practice run and it could all end tomorrow.
Having said that, we don't run around at 3am letting off fireworks and eating kebabs ... but we do live how we want to.
I am able to work a little part-time with support, so I do. 
When we found a tiny house that suited us perfectly, we moved in as soon as we 
could.
To quote the great Dr Hook, "Sometimes the world that we live in can be hard now and then, and it will be again..", and we can't foresee when there are going to be tougher times.

The viral pandemic has been totally life-changing for millions.

So what really matters?
Certainly not things.
People - some, yes.
Money? No, just as long as we have enough.

What really matters is passing things on, paying it forward. 
Kindness to others.
Helping out. 
Putting other people first.

(And certainly not 3am kebabs..)

Your thoughts?

Tracey xx





Comments

  1. Totally agree with every word. Thank you for sharing this. Catriona (in rainy Scotland)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. It's important to be able to recognize when a friendship doesn't work and walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I don’t teach any more due to health. We don’t know what curve balls life will throw us sometimes. I’m content with what I have now and that is such a blessing. The pandemic and lockdown has been a time to ponder and take time to enjoy my home and garden. I need very little to have an amazing life. I have done 59 years without a kebab though. Don’t think I will getting one 3 am or any time. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said. It's been lovely to throw off the shackles of full time work and teaching my hubby how to live frugally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think things are important if and when we give meaning to them. Sometimes money is important, sometimes people, sometimes work, it comes and goes doesn't it.

    I do like kebabs though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts