Roast Dinner

I just love a Roast Dinner (deliberately capitalized)!
I grew up in a household where the weekly roast dinner on Sunday was the one time of the week when we sat together around the dining room table.  
When I say roast dinner, back then it was usually cooked Breast of Lamb and more rarely Pork with Crackling.  
My favourite part of the meal was always the roast potatoes - either with mint sauce (from a  jar) or apple sauce from a tin.

I don't eat meat these days, but nevertheless we cook a roast dinner for all the family each Sunday tea-time.  Everyone has their own favourite things to serve for this major weekly family event, so I thought I'd share our menu!

Roast potatoes - boiled for a few minutes first before draining then cooking in olive oil in the oven.
Roast parsnips - peeled and cut into thin pieces and cooked alongside the spuds to nice and crispy.
Carrot crush - boiled swede and carrot, mashed.
Steamed veg - broccoli, carrots, leeks, peas, cabbage
Yorkshire puddings - batter mix cooked in an oiled muffin tin at a high oven temperature. 
Gravy - two types at our table; homemade veggy gravy made from veg stock, flour and yeast extract, and meaty gravy made from gravy granules and hot water.
Stuffing - the cheapest packet of sage and onion stuffing mix from the supermarket, add hot water, pop in oven for 30 mins.
Veggy main - veggy 'meatballs' or homemade lentil loaf usually.
Meat main for the two meat-eaters - I usually cook a small piece of chicken per person, or might cook a small piece of pork.  Only one adult and one kid in the family eat meat these days.

One thing both Man Wonderful and Gorgeous Granddaughter look forward to is leftover lunch on a Monday. (Since Lockdown he's had to share this weekly treat!) Any of the veggy leftovers are plated up and re-heated for a second plate of yum!

Do you have a weekly meal with family or friends?  Is there something you 'have to have' on a roast dinner?

Tracey xx





Comments

  1. I use a cheap packet mix sage and onion stuffing but pep it up by adding a chopped onion which makes it a taste of luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love a roast, potatoes, peas and gravy are my must haves, everything else is optional but I love pretty much anything. Second plate of yum is extra added bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts