Saving money on amazing meals!

The Government have lowered the VAT on food for August if you eat out, Monday to Wednesday to prompt folks to spend money and boost the economy.
Good for them.
I genuinely do hope the economy gets a boost.
However.
I might be truly cynical but this awful virus hasn't gone away.
And many households have been kicked in the what-nots financially by not being able to work/being furloughed/the last 16 weeks of life.

So like many other households, we won't be taking the government up on their very generous offer.

No.

Instead we will be continuing with our super at-home meal 
making.

It's much cheaper - even with this 5% VAT reduction.

We also won't be buying a house, as the only money-saving 'stamp' duty I'm interested in is when postage stamps are going to go up in price, I go out and buy a sheet of stamps at the current price to save myself a few pennies...

So.


So amazing meals we are enjoying:

Mediterranean veg.

As today is our weekly veg-box delivery, last night we chopped into similar-sized pieces all the root veg we had left (half a swede, a butternut squash, two onions, a leek, three medium spuds and a sweet potato) plus a handful of mushrooms and four courgettes from the garden. 
 This was roasted with olive oil,  a sprinkle of mixed herbs and a squirt of lemon juice.  If I'd had tomatoes leftover I would have added these too.
This was dinner for last night, and will be lunch today!

This evening we have a Potato and and Spinach curry.

Cooking at home is easy, it's cheap and I think it's healthier. 


What are your thoughts?

Tracey xx




Comments

  1. Most definitely cheaper, and probably healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If people are comfortable eating out then it helps both sides of the equation and if you were already intent on moving then I guess it makes sense to take advantage of the offers.
    Canada hasn't received anything like this incentive but we have been well looked after during lockdown. We are still only in stage 2 of reopening so patios only for restaurants anyway. I have not ordered any takeout during lockdown but yesterday I did pick up some prepared meals from the supermarket. It feels like 42C here today and I'm not cooking anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be very pleased to eat cheaper - at home! Even with reductions, it is still far more expensive to eat out than at home and as I live alone, eating at home (telly on, book to one side or in the garden) is more fun than eating out on my own anyway.
    And yes, most definitely healthier in all ways.
    Tonight I have sweet and sour chicken with stir fry Chinese veg. Even using 'happy' chicken, it is loads better value than the same from a takeaway.
    Your curry sounds delicious.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know quite a few people who are delighted to have this eating out discount and I'm glad they can save a bit of money on things they would be doing anyway - we all love that.

    At the moment I can't see myself going out to eat, I have had food delivered during lockdown and I had a takeout coffee last weekend as I do like to support the local businesses, but that's as far as it goes for now, happy to leave space for those who are really missing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We won't be eating out any time soon but we do support local business by buying as local as we can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts