Saving for the rainy day...



..but how do you know when it's a rainy day?

Most of my readers are careful, frugal and thrifty, and save bits and bobs - money into a savings account, extra tins in the cupboard or ends of wool to make into winter socks.
In many instances we save because we have been near the breadline and never want to go there again.  
Everybody that saves is sensible - there's a statement!!

But many people manage the 'rainy days' without touching the savings, or the store cupboard.

With the Lockdown this year and folks not doing lots of spending, many people have managed to save a little more money than they would usually; while others have been hit massively by redundancies, by workplaces not being open, by no work being available to them.

So when is it a rainy day, and how far should we let it 'rain' for until we spend some of that rainy day fund.

It can be tempting to spend a little here and there to cheer ourselves up when times are low.  

Personally I get tempted to 'spoil' other people as it makes me feel better.
Today, for example, we wanted to shop for some cheese as the grandkids were coming for lunch.  I masked up and went into the shop for cheese, and came out with:
  • a newspaper for Man Wonderful ( he doesn't get treated much )
  • a comic for each Grandkid (can't remember the last time I bought them one)
  • some tins of pepsi max and a magazine for Gorgeous Daughter (same as above)
  • a multi-pack of crisps for Grandkids to have a few beside their cheese and salad sarnies (couldn't resist)
  • some reduced-price teabags, simply because they were reduced price and still in date. (this was quite a sensible purchase)
Ahem!!

It's also been little lad's birthday this week, although we do save all year in an online pot for birthdays and Christmas. 

So what constitutes a rainy day?

Car problems?  
Leaky roof?
Boiler not making hot water anymore?

or

A holiday
A Wedding
A new coat?

So is a rainy day for wants or needs?

Your thoughts, as always, are welcomed.

Tracey xx







Comments

  1. Great post, as usual 😊
    For me a rainy day fund is for needs that are not of the everyday kind but can and do crop up unexpectedly like the roof, boiler, car stuff. But then I also tried to save hard so that we had rainy day money if we became ill and couldn't work for a while. Not having regular money coming in was always my biggest fear money wise. Rainy day money gave me peace of mind. I took early ill health retirement due to Parkinsons, my husband is retiring early to look after me. My rainy day money may now have to meet my disability needs. I think my middle name is "frugal", just as well really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rainy day fund is for expenditure that we can't afford out of our monthly income and needs to come out of savings, leaking roof etc rather than a want.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts