There's been some disturbing news items recently, about mould in houses that has been spurred this season.
Not using heating, having condensation from clothes hanging to dry.
These are newer situations to many people.
But not everyone.
How do frugal people manage this?
Well, as someone who has lived below the line for some time, I wanted to help.
Growing up in the 70s we had single glazed windows, no central heating and a very similar lifestyle to now.
1. Have a cloth - like a flannel - in each room. This cloth is just for windows. Each morning, spend a few minutes wiping inside your windows where there is condensation. Also wipe around the indoor frame and the sill.
2. If you can, have your window slightly open for a short time (as long as there isn't a storm blowing!). Even if it's just half an hour while you eat your breakfast.
3. Any dots of mould at all, wipe these off with bleach.
4. Pull all furniture away from your walls. Check behind things like free standing bookshelves.
5. Mould spores can be white, green, black. It is a natural organism - but can be dangerous in large patches to humans with breathing issues, or if they are vulnerable.
6. Keep vigilant. Mould spores grow in damp. We are living in damper conditions over the winter, so once a week, check for mould.
7. One other thing you can do is bit-by-bit clean an area - for example your kitchen cupboards / behind your washing machine / behind or under a bed.
8. If you are hanging laundry indoors, place it either by a slightly open window or in the centre of a room so the air can circulate. If there is sunlight, that can help with warmer air.
9. Check the drawer of your washing machine / under a sink / around the bath or shower sealant.
10. Bleach is not expensive. Yes, it's a chemical..yes, keep it done up and away from children..and yes, it's trendy to use white vinegar. I use bleach. It gets rid of mould.
Yesterday I cleaned my wee conservatory. I have a desk and bookcases there, and sometimes use my clothes airer there. I keep a couple of windows locked open.
With Man Wonderful's help, I emptied my bookcases and they were pulled forward so I could wipe them down and check for mould. This has not been done since we moved in a year ago...
There were some tiny black dots of mould beginning near one side of the roof against the house brickwork. (I didn't take a picture.)
I wiped this with neat bleach and it went.
Behind a bookcase was a small patch of fluffy white mould. This was cleaned the same way.
Once everything was dry I replaced the furniture; sorting through my books for the charity shop.
Do you have any mould-beating tips or advice?