A New Quilt

 Today I completed quilting our new quilt.

It's made from a hand-stitched top, cotton wadding, and a backing.




The top is made from 2.5" hexagons - all scrap pieces of fabric - and the backing is an old duvet cover. It is King sized and will go on our bed.

It is entirely greys, from an idea Man Wonderful had, to call it fifty shades of grey. There are exactly fifty different patterns in the quilt. 

I sorted through my fabric stash for anything grey and bought men's shirts in charity shops, as well as asking folks to kindly save and pass on any grey they had.

I make my quilt tops entirely by hand, and use my machine for quilting and finishing.

In the New Year I'll have a think about the next quilt to start.


FMxx


Comments

  1. Sounds lovely, how long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started cutting out my hexagons at the start of the summer holidays, tacking them around paper hexagons and then joining them so no two were attached.

      Delete
  2. That sounds a very modern take on an old craft and a real achievement. Have you made many quilts or is this a new hobby? I like Man Wonderful's sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, I learned how to hand sew quilt tops as a teenager. My sister taught me about this craft - everything done by hand; including the quilting. I've made many quilts over the years and like to have a quilt 'on the go' as a craft I can take out and about with me. I usually have a knitting, crochet or major knitting project on the go too, and use the small patches of a quilt as a late-night relaxing craft.
      Do you think a how-to blogpost would be useful for folks?

      Delete
    2. Definitely!

      Delete
  3. No surprises - I love it. I started making things with hexies at the start of the year and it's such fun isn't it, maybe due to not needing to press dozens of seams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. I think that would be a great idea. I have made 2 hand-sewn patchwork throws before for single beds, but just using big squares. I just backed them with fabric, not having a clue as to how to even begin quilting them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've a little bag of hexies on the go! Do you take the paper out? curious - it adds to the insulation and the rustle of a good quilt haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts