My Weekly Veg Box - and How I Plan Our Meals!

 Whilst out walking the dog yesterday, my chum asked about our weekly veg box delivery - was it good value, did we have much left over at the end of the week, etc.

So I thought I would write today about how I plan our meals around the veg box.

(I know I've talked about this veg-box-thingy before.)

Man Wonderful and I eat loads of veg.

We always have done, but as we get older it becomes more important to eat as healthily as possible.

I started a subscription to our local veg chap about 18 months ago, and during lockdown it became invaluable.

We pay £30 a week for:

2kg potatoes / 2kg carrots / a savoy cabbage / 1kg broccoli / 1kg parsnips / 1kg swede / 1kg leeks / 4 white onions / a butternut squash / a head of garlic / 2kg mushrooms / 4 red apples / 4 green apples / 6 bananas / 3 pears / 6 satsumas / 3 plums / 1 lemon and 1 lime / a red pepper / an iceberg lettuce / a cucumber / 1kg cherry tomatoes / 4 large tomatoes / 3 red onions / 6 free-range eggs

Phew!

The reason I have added the quantities is so you can see why I think it is a bargain - especially as most of the produce is from local suppliers.

If we fancy something different, we text the chap and he will add-in or take-out what we'd like for the next week - aubergines, courgettes, radishes, etc.

Our meals this week are here, foods I need to use from the larder/freezer (or buy extra) is in bold.

  • Chilli - one tin kidney beans, garlic, red onion, carrots, mushrooms, frozen spinach
  • Salmon - salmon fillets, white onion, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, red onion, broccoli
  • Lasagne - Quorn mince, garlic, mushrooms, onion, carrots, butternut squash, flour, stock cube, soya milk, lasagne sheets
  • Roast Meal - (This meal is for 6 - and I haven't included meat as we don't provide/eat it) Spuds, swede, cabbage, butternut, leek, broccoli, parsnips, yorkshires, stuffing, gravy
  • Veg Paella - onion, carrot, garlic, butternut, cabbage, rice, stock
  • Stuffed peppers - Quorn mince (same packet as for lasagne), onion, peppers, garlic, stock
  • Stir-fry - onions, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, butternut, rice noodles
What I have in the larder/freezer is: kidney beans, frozen spinach, quorn mince, flour, stock cubes, soya milk, pasta, yorkshires, stuffing, gravy, rice, rice noodles.

The only thing I need to buy in addition to the veg box this week is fresh spinach for the stir-fry and salmon fillets.

Do you meal plan?
Do you use a veg box delivery?

How do you make sure you don't have to over-buy food each week?

Take care,

Tracey xx


Comments

Popular Posts