My Weekly Veg Box - and How I Plan Our Meals!
Whilst out walking the dog yesterday, my chum asked about our weekly veg box delivery - was it good value, did we have much left over at the end of the week, etc.
So I thought I would write today about how I plan our meals around the veg box.
(I know I've talked about this veg-box-thingy before.)
Man Wonderful and I eat loads of veg.
We always have done, but as we get older it becomes more important to eat as healthily as possible.
I started a subscription to our local veg chap about 18 months ago, and during lockdown it became invaluable.
We pay £30 a week for:
2kg potatoes / 2kg carrots / a savoy cabbage / 1kg broccoli / 1kg parsnips / 1kg swede / 1kg leeks / 4 white onions / a butternut squash / a head of garlic / 2kg mushrooms / 4 red apples / 4 green apples / 6 bananas / 3 pears / 6 satsumas / 3 plums / 1 lemon and 1 lime / a red pepper / an iceberg lettuce / a cucumber / 1kg cherry tomatoes / 4 large tomatoes / 3 red onions / 6 free-range eggs
The reason I have added the quantities is so you can see why I think it is a bargain - especially as most of the produce is from local suppliers.
If we fancy something different, we text the chap and he will add-in or take-out what we'd like for the next week - aubergines, courgettes, radishes, etc.
Our meals this week are here, foods I need to use from the larder/freezer (or buy extra) is in bold.
- Chilli - one tin kidney beans, garlic, red onion, carrots, mushrooms, frozen spinach
- Salmon - salmon fillets, white onion, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, red onion, broccoli
- Lasagne - Quorn mince, garlic, mushrooms, onion, carrots, butternut squash, flour, stock cube, soya milk, lasagne sheets
- Roast Meal - (This meal is for 6 - and I haven't included meat as we don't provide/eat it) Spuds, swede, cabbage, butternut, leek, broccoli, parsnips, yorkshires, stuffing, gravy
- Veg Paella - onion, carrot, garlic, butternut, cabbage, rice, stock
- Stuffed peppers - Quorn mince (same packet as for lasagne), onion, peppers, garlic, stock
- Stir-fry - onions, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, butternut, rice noodles