Carrots and a 1940s dinner.

 As regular readers know, we live below the line as our typical way of living. 

Saving, thoughtful spending, making do and mending, etc.  I'm sure you've heard it a million times before!

We are having some chums over for dinner later, on a 1940s theme.

Now, before I get to the meal, I thought I'd show you my homemade hair curlers: 


And why not!?  I don't own rollers, my hair is just curly and just - you know - there on my head as it is.  Today I want smarter hair, so I'm doing what my mum used to do to me when I was a wee lass.

And onto the carrots.

Yesterday the Coop had reduced price carrots in their 'wonky/real/weird' range, and Man Wonderful brought two bags home.  We buy our veg from the local farm shop, but the dogs love carrots and we go through quite a few in a week.

And boy, they were a weird lot of shapes!  Two bags were 34p, 17p each bag.



This is the box I use for the dog's veg in the fridge:


These were sorted for humans:


Whereas these were for dogs:


And these were going in my stewpack, for the freezer.





And I know all these carrots are suitable for human consumption, but I am a carrot snob: there, I've said it!


I'll report on the 1940s dinner later.


FMxx

Comments

  1. Hope you enjoy your 1940s dinner. Our eldest granddaughter rag rolls her hair. Our Springer spaniels liked carrots, we now have a fussy Lhasa Apso!!! Hope you are recovering from your slip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Canada, those are normal supermarket carrots. We just buy 2 or 5 pound bags. If you want to be posh you buy the "baby" carrots at roughly 3x the price. If you go to farmers markets you can buy the bunch still with their tops on, but again extremely expensive

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember rags in my hair from when I was a little girl too. I have a nice recipe for carrot chutney that is quick and easy and a good use for wonky cheap carrots. It does have dates in it, which can be a bit expensive, but are often reduced after Christmas, so I tend to make it then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts