My Eco Shopping!

 I was told on Monday that a new 'ECO' shop had opened up in the local shopping street.  It wasn't until yesterday that I was able to go out, and this particular shop was at the top of my list.

I wasn't disappointed!

From watching the earth-friendly telly programmes I knew to take my own containers.

I needed hair conditioner, as the usual pot I buy (a large plastic pump-action bottle) was almost empty; so I put this bottle in my bag for life, along with a couple of empty jam jars and a net-curtain bag I made a while ago.

Inside the shop there are HUGE containers for 'wet stuff': washing-up liquid, shampoo, conditioner, laundry liquid...etc., etc.  Wet things you would normally buy for the home and washing yourself.

These were all paraben- and sulfate-free, cruelty-free and suitable for vegans.

I had my hair conditioner bottle weighed at the till, then Man Wonderful enjoyed squirting the refill-conditioner into my large bottle. (I've just realised that sentence sounds a bit saucy: and I'm not going to change it!!)

To fill the whole bottle cost £5.50 - a new bottle that size of my current conditioner costs £55 on Amazon.  I am aware it is a different conditioner, but they are both vegan and paraben/sulfate-free - and using it yesterday and today, my hair is no different!!


Then we mooched around the rest of the shop.

We didn't 'need' anything else, but did buy some popcorn kernels 35p/100g and two homemade vegan choccy bars for £3 each (they were 4 for £10 but we would have eaten them then and there so stuck to just one each!). The same size as a similar bar from a bakers/coffee shop; but vegan and earth-friendly! (Also tummy-friendly: I now know EXACTLY which cake I want for my birthday next month.)

In total we spent just over £11.

I will definitely be shopping here in the future for items like; dried pasta and rice, lentils and split peas, spices and bathroom-y things. 

If you have an earth-friendly shop, go and have a look. I was worried things would be much more pricey, but the items we would buy were not: yes, you can buy soap for £5+ a bar, right now I can't afford that level of shopping, but can still do my little bit.


Take care,

Tracey xx



Comments

  1. Nice to hear you had such a positive experience.

    I took my empty bottles to the market in a town we visit quite often to get some laundry liquid (my adventures with through the post Smol didn't last long) and shower gel. The lady did the refills for me and the prices were very good. There are two other refill shops in the town, the posh one doesn't sell the brands I like and the other is past the market, so I'm already topped up by the time I get there.

    I do find the dried food to be so much more expensive to buy this way (other than herbs) but I do what I can!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts