One of my lovely readers asked about our meal planning, so this is how we do it:
1. I take an inventory of the fresh foods we want to use first.
2. I plan our meals based on these, with as few items from the shop as possible.
3. I plan which days we will eat which meal.
4. I shop for anything we need in one trip.
So here is our meal plan for this week, and why.
1. I have three different types of cabbage, lots of mushrooms and some onions that need using first.
Lentil and Vegetable cottage pie
Plenty of lentils in the store cupboard, swede and spuds to make the mash topping.
Japanese Stir-fry with rice
Sliced cabbage, mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery. Plenty of rice in store cupboard. Need to buy soy sauce.
Home made falafel, crunchy salad and pittas
Tinned beans, eggs, salad from veg the same as yesterday. Need to buy pittas.
Sausage and Boston bean casserole
I have a butternut squash to use for this, plus tinned beans and tomatoes and frozen veg sausages.
I plan to make a lentil dal as well as a madras using up any sad veg.
Veg sausages and burgers served with beans and scrambled eggs.
If its/HM ready meals from the freezer.