A Healthy Heart Diet

Sometimes I think there are more 'diet' plans than there are people in the world - it can certainly seem that way!

As an adult I have always been aware of eating one way or another.  

In my first year at University, I lived in a shared flat.  I was a person who cooked meals that could be frozen for re'heating at a later date.  I cooked curries, stews and soups and bought dried noodles to make into soups.   One of my flatmates didn't seem to eat and was dangerously thin and another owned a deep-fat fryer so you can imagine their meals!  As I was on a small budget I bought from the local market and lived simply (as I still do!).

In my second and third years I lived in a large all-female hall of residence that looked not unlike Hogwarts!  It was fully catered and had a good selection of foods to suit the multicultural demographic.  Year four was back to simple living as I moved in with my sister's family.

But I digress..


Eating to satisfy the needs of your body is the most sensible way to live.

Sadly our culture is led to  believe that food is a treat.  A reward.  'If you are good, we can have a takeaway tonight.' etc..  Advertising / restaurant meals / special offers..etc, etc.


Eating for a healthy body has to be the way to live - for the majority of your life.


So what is a heart-healthy diet?

Are fats good or bad for us?

What if you are hungry?  Allergic to something?  Vegetarian?  Vegan?  Avoiding eating at certain times of the day?


So:  this is one of the healthiest diet plans you can follow - for the majority of your time.


Breakfasts: - no portion size, ideally eaten within an hour of rising:

. Oats   made in to porridge with a milk or water.  Served with fresh fruit.

or

. Eggs   made into an omelette with vegetables like mushrooms or tomatoes.                      Cooked, ideally, with a spray of olive oil


Lunches: - again, no portion size:

.  white fish or salmon, cooked without added oil.  Steamed vegetables.

or

. tinned beans or chickpeas.  Huge selection of salad vegetables.  No dressing.


Dinners:  as lunch.

Once a week swap a meal of fish for meat.


Snack:  fresh fruit.  Sugar free yogurt or soya yogurt


What we drink can affect our digestion.

I'll talk more about drinks at a different time.


Take care,

Tracey xx



  




Comments

Popular Posts