Free Food!

The time and effort are well worth it when you can pick fruit and veg you've grown yourself.

We have been enjoying fine green beans and broad beans since the start of July, and now ripe tomatoes every day. Blissful!

I read about a different method of growing tomatoes, and am so glad I gave it a go. Instead of using growbags sat flat on the floor, we folded them over in half and stood these upright. We placed two tomato plants in each half.  I will definitely do this again next year.

I planted sweetcorn seeds for the first time and we were very lucky with six healthy plants - two juicy cobs per plant so far.  This makes me confident in growing more next year.

And - I hope you are being blessed where you live - we have a complete abundance of blackberries this year. When we take the dogs for their daily long walk, we also take two plastic tubs..these come home crammed full.  I'm not exaggerating when I say the top drawer of our freezer is almost full of blackberries now.  Man Wonderful loves homemade jam and jelly, and I'm planning to make blackberry and apple crumble 'bottom' ready to freeze.

As well as eating fresh tomatoes, I have plenty of jars ready for my homemade pasta sauce. Yum!


I have chillis coming on a-plenty in our conservatory and radishes on the windowsill.  We have a v.small house and garden, but love to grow eaties as well as flowers.


I like to plan ahead - I'm thinking of runner beans as well for next year.


Are you growing your own?


FMxx



Comments

  1. I only have a small garden too, but enjoy growing my own. It hasn't been a good year this year, but we have had lots of cut and come again lettuce, herbs and a good crop of shallots from a raised bed. My tomatoes are just starting to change colour. The biggest crop was plums. Last year my trained tree yielded a grand total of 4 plums. This year we couldn't move for them! We have plums in the freezer, plum brandy in the making and plum chutney and plum jelly in storage. We also gave away several bags to our neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have my first tomato today! Rachelradiostar x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts