A Bit o' Baking

 It's granddaughter's 11th birthday today.

She wanted us all to have Fish and Chips for tea.  Man Wonderful has popped off to the local chippy. 

I've made a birthday cake that has smarties inside, and 11 candles. 

I was going to design a Harry Potter one, but I didn't have any colours for icing - so instead I've made a layer of vanilla, red velvet, and chocolate. These are sandwiched together with homemade buttercream and some raspberry jam, and it's covered outside with chocolate buttercream.


I do love baking.

And I hate to say it, but it's stayed within our budget.


Do you make special occasion cakes?


FMxx

Comments

  1. I don't make special occasion cakes as my cakes always turn out like pancakes! I am good at pasty though. Sausage roll with candles on anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a good baker, but have no artistic ability at all. Therefore, I bake celebration cakes, and my husband decorates them!
    Our son was young when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were popular the first time around, so he had a 'Leonardo' (his favourite character) cake. We also did characters from 'Trap Door', 'Duckula', Bravestarr, 'Thundercats' and a few other early nineties children's TV programmes!
    Now we're doing cakes for our grandson, and weirdly, he's (like his dad) been through the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stage, but his character of choice is Raphael. He's now a very keen musician, and last year we excelled, when we made a 3D 'drum set' cake! Fortunately his school-friend's Grandad is a retired Draughtsman, and designed the physical framework for us, but baking and decorating eight cakes (five drums and three cymbals) was definitely a labour of love!
    Although we love to bake, the time and effort that we're prepared to put into baking for people we love is astonishing isn't it?
    My husband's easily pleased, he always asks for Apple Pie, Rhubarb and Strawberry Cake, Lemon Drizzle, or his absolute favourite of all time, Coffee and Walnut!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts