How to save money

I've been asked for some ideas, so here are just a few.


1. Look at exactly what you have coming in, and where it is going out.  Be brutal with yourself. Do you need to have that many subscriptions to things you rarely use? Can you live without SKY, Netflix and Amazon Prime? Cancel one.

2. As soon as money comes into your bank account, automatically send an amount to savings - even if it's £2.50, it's savings. 

3. I should have said this first - set up a savings account. That you don't touch! 

4. Have a cash jar in the house for "have you just got?" situations. By that I mean; if you have a teenager who will say, "have you just got a couple quid for a coffee: I forgot my wallet..": or a housemate who will say, "have you just got a quid for.....".. 
Put an amount of money in the jar - £6 perhaps, but all in small change. The money is visible in the jar. Very rarely add any money to it. Then when you are asked, "Have you just got...?" Your answer is always, "I don't know - look in the change jar." 
In this way you can wean folk off always coming to you for their top-ups unless YOU CHOOSE to give them money. 

Which brings me to the next point:
5. Stop paying people to do things for you that you can do yourself.
We pay a window cleaner to just wash the upstairs windows outside. Instead of £15 every month it is £4 every month.  We can wash the inside of all the windows ourselves, and the 
outsides of the downstairs ones. Saving £11 a month.

6. Food.  
This is a large topic, but if you want to save money it is often the area where you can make a big saving - and I'm not talking about going hungry. Not at all.
This list is just a start of where you can make adjustments:

Ready meals to homemade meals - it is much, much cheaper to make your own food, ( I'm not talking about supermarket £1.50 cardboard pizzas here) and many times healthier. And folks who say they don't have time. Really? I used to work two jobs and still made almost everything for the home to save money - it's about what you don't do. I was making food ahead while I was cooking a meal while I was washing the clothes. I wasn't playing computer games or watching soaps on the telly. Choices.


Snacks - can be harmful, fatty, salty, addictive. Few people need to eat snacks. Eating between meals (especially supper time) can become a habit, and habits can be broken.  


Sorting through the cupboards, fridge and freezer - write down what you already have and how these can be made into meals. If you have everything to make four meals apart from one item, it makes more sense to buy that one item and have the four meals rather than leave the freezer full and go buy a different meal. 

Meal planning - the one thing that puts folk off is being told what to eat on a certain day. So don't plan like that. Plan a set of meals with a variation. So plan a roast meal, a stir fry meal, a meal in front of the TV, a pasta meal, a one-pan meal..etc. Then when you decide exactly 
what - (roast chicken this week, veggy stir fry with a Chinese sauce, sausage and jacket 
potatoes in front of the telly, pasta carbonara with that bacon from the freezer, etc. etc.) - 
and make your list before you go shopping so you buy only what you need. Change 
the days around, but you still don't need to buy anything else.

Changing diets - there is no lie here: it's cheaper not to eat meat. I'm not telling you to become vegan, but for the sake of saving money, have some meals that don't involve animals. 

Throwing away nothing. This might make you feel queasy. It shouldn't, but there you go. We don't throw away veg waste. I use washed peelings in soups and stews. I revisit and re-trim root vegetables and ensure I have everything I can from them before they are checked over for seeds. I dry seeds and store these for future growing  or begin to grow the plants. Some seeds we eat in our food anyway because they are edible. Only then is the smallest waste 
from the raw veg given over to the compost heap.
We eat veg that some  other folk don't: cauliflower leaves, for example. Google it. Try it. It's 
a free vegetable you'll wonder why you haven't always been eating. And if you aren't re-growing celery, then that's another topic I can chat to you guys about! 

Growing your own - message me if you'd like me to chat about growing your own food - and if I can do this even while we were living in one room for two years, then yes, you can. 

Saving leftovers and using them for.. - when we serve up a meal, we have freezer pots or bags ready. The leftovers are then labelled and either in the fridge for the next day, or the freezer for a homemade ready meal - for example a homemade chilli or a homemade curry in the freezer to heat through in the microwave or saucepan in the time it takes to cook some rice.


Let me know if these have been useful or if there's anything you'd like me to blog about!

Tracey xxx




Comments

  1. All very useful tips thank you Tracey, and I would love to know about regrowing celery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Tracey. I have saved thousands over the years with a bit of savvy shopping and cooking. First in a longer series of ways to save money around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very handy points, nice to see you on here again. If you have any ideas for little ones activities in the hollibobs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit I generally feed the cauliflower leaves to the chickens, I have never tasted them. I must give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you're back, and thank you for all the good tips. Sometimes, hearing it from someone else makes all the difference and it sinks in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If your Kale turns to seed let it flower. The flowers are beautiful and taste great in salads. They bloom for ages too. I grow it in my flower border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all I would like to say excellent blog! I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.
    I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.

    I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply
    just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints?
    Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I originally commented I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same
    comment. Is there a means you are able to
    remove me from that service? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning
    this post and the rest of the site is also really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative.
    I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if you continue
    this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola! I've been following your site for a long time now and
    finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a
    shout out from Kingwood Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up
    the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit
    my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit
    and sources back to your blog? My website is in the very same area of interest
    as yours and my visitors would genuinely
    benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he
    should also go to see this web site on regular basis to get updated
    from most up-to-date news.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! All comments are moderated.

Popular Posts